Wednesday, March 28, 2007

We expect great things from you

With the mention of Cajun Dance Party in my last post I thought I'd go over my list of bands/artists that I would like to sign for my imaginary record label.

The Cajun's were at the top of this list purely because their brand of saccharinely sweet pop songs are just that damn good, and the song writing talent shines through for all to see. Also, in the words of the great Steve Lamacq, "that's a lovely voice you've got their fella."

Go to their MySpace page for a listen of their new demo The Race. It's a lovely slice of indie-pop, and has a violin bit at the end. I'm an absolute sucker for violins me. XL are bastards for signing all the decent acts before me.

Right, on to the unsigned lot.


First up are The Svengali's. One of them is brothers with someone in Cajun Dance Party, but I can never remember which one. Basically, they're a lot like CDP, but seemingly far more bitter in their general outlook. That said, it's still gloriously fun indie-pop. Check their MySpace to listen to their self released single Sting in the Tale / Swimming Upstream and buy it here.

T
he Svengali's - Love Letters for Delinquents (demo) (Zshare)
The Svengali's - Runaway (demo) (Zshare)


Second up we've got The Hussy's. Quite frankly how someone's not given them a massive pot of cash in return for their signature is beyond me. It seems to be the trend now for bands to go unsigned for as long as possible. The biggest unsigned band in the UK right now are The Wombats. I imagine they keep their head above water, like their predecessors to the title of biggest unsigned band the Long Blondes, by going on ridiculously long tours and selling out the venue. Anyway, once The Wombat's finally sign for a lot of money it'll be The Hussy's turn.

Sounding something like the lovechild of The Pipettes and the aforementioned Long Blondes, The Hussys serve up joyfully infectious indie-pop so good that I have no hesitation in proclaiming them to be your new favourite band.

The Hussy's - Tiger (Zshare)
The Hussy's - We Expected (Zshare)


Two will do for now. More coming soon.

1 comment:

CSouthwell said...

the hussy's are singed arent they?