Sunday, October 07, 2007

Hit the Heartbreaks Honey

Oh, what can I do?


Black Kids - Hit the Heartbreaks (Zshare)


Not been updating this as much as I'd like so let's see if we can find some sort of regularity from somewhere.

The song above is by Black Kids, the newest "hotly tipped" band in a minute. They're very good, and have basically got the internet all a-buzz despite having played a handful of gigs and barely made it out of their hometown of Jacksonville, Florida.

Pitchfork and the Guardian have all featured them recently, and their new manager is one Scott Rodgers who also happens to manage some band called the Arcade Fire. They're planning to release an EP soon on a label which'll most probably turn out to be XL. I mean, they sign every-fucking-one these days! (Laura Groves see below is now in their stable of artists).

Go grab their demo off their MySpace for free. Oh, what do they sound like? Gloriously clever and beautifully twee pop. Like shoegaze on a sugar high from eating too much Haribo. The best song is probably "I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You," but I have a lot of love for the call and response vocals in Hit the Heartbreaks.

Next up is a band I actually quite dislike. Xerox Teens, now known as the XX Teens, have always annoyed me, especially live. Their drummer is pretty manic and they've got horns and stuff, so by rights I'd love them. But, no. The singer sort of wanders about in dark glasses and acts like he doesn't give a fuck. That's not too bad I guess, but, they managed to fit in two girls dancing in synchronised slow motion. I can't even think of how to describe it suffice to say that it wound me up. It even wound up Xerox who forced them to change their name.


So, yeah. I'm not a massive fan of them, but this song is quite good.


XX Teens - Darlin'

It's got steel pans. It's got slurred vocals. It's danceable. The video is quite mental.



It's great.

Still, the rest of their songs are quite shit.

No comments: